Single location in the municipality of Pillnitz in the German growing region of Saxony. The uplift of the mountain began in 1792 with vines from Burgundy. The vineyard was to be prepared as a model vineyard for Saxon viticulture. It was owned by the Saxon royal family. After the plagues of mildew and phylloxera, which had been brought in from America, had destroyed a large part of the vine stock by the end of the 19th century, viticulture was abandoned here. It was not until 1980 that a revival took place through "leisure winegrowers" organised in an association. The south-west-facing vineyards with a slope inclination of 15 to 40% comprise 22 hectares of vineyard area. The soils consist of weathered two-mica granodiorite with quartz content and, at the foot of the slope, gravel, sand and loam. The white wine varieties cultivated here include Müller-Thurgau,Pinot Blanc, PinotGris and Traminer. A special feature of the vineyard is the vineyard church "Zum heiligen Geist", built in 1725. The producers Rogge, Sächsische WG Meißen and Zimmerling, for example, have a share in the site.
Under the Prussian King Frederick II (1712-1786), an extensive nursery was established on the southern slope of the Klausberg in the Sanssouci Park in Potsdam(Brandenburg) in 1769. The orchard or vineyard was divided into six wide terraces with retaining walls and was planted with foreign fruit and grape varieties until 1746. It was revived or revitalised from 2006 onwards. See under Frederick II.
There is also a royal vineyard here; see under Villa della Regina.