The winery is located in the municipality of Morscheid in the German wine-growing region of Mosel. The first documented mention dates back to 1349. In 1999, the 650th anniversary of the house was celebrated. Friedrich von Kesselstatt was appointed administrator of the estate's cellars by the Elector in 1377. When Hugo Casimir Graf von Kesselstatt was Landhofmeister from 1761 to 1794, Elector Clemens Wenzeslaus von Sachsen Wettin issued a decree in 1787 to plant better vines in future instead of the "reprehensible Rhenish vines", which primarily meant Riesling. In 1978 it was taken over by the Reh family and is run by Gerhard Gartner. The former seat of the winery was the Palais Kesselstatt in Trier, which was built in baroque style between 1740 and 1746 on the foundations of a Roman glass-blowing factory. Today, the winery's restaurant and wine tavern are located there. The headquarters were moved to Marienlay Castle in the Ruwer Valley in 1999. Since 1988, all wines have been produced there in the newly built winery.
The wein.plus encyclopaedia is a comprehensive, well-researched reference work. Available anytime and anywhere, it has become an indispensable part of teaching, used by students and myself alike. Highly recommended!Dominik Trick
Technischer Lehrer, staatl. geprüfter Sommelier, Hotelfachschule Heidelberg