The Port Wine House is located in Pinhão in the centre of the port wine region in northern Portugal. It was founded in 1715 by a Portuguese family. After the destruction of many vineyards by phylloxera, the estate was purchased by Antonio José da Silva in 1894. It later became the property of the Dutch van Zeller family, who ran it for four generations. In 1993, the estate was bought by the French group AXA, which made substantial investments in new cellar equipment. Among other things, electronically controlled robot-like Lagares were installed, where the grapes are mechanically crushed like feet.
Only the wines produced on the Quinta are marketed under the name "Quinta de Noval", all others under "Noval". The absolute flagship of the house is the "Nacional Vintage Port", produced from grapes from ancient, rootless vines of a tiny vineyard, which have been spared from phylloxera. The wine is only produced in very good years in small quantities of 200 to 300 cases (2,400 to 3,600 bottles), in "normal" years it is marketed as "Vintage Port". The 1997 vintage of this legendary port wine received 100 points from the US wine critic Robert Parker. The two vintages 1963 and 1994 were rated by him with 99+ points. Another premium wine is the Single Quinta Vintage "Silval".