The winery is located in the municipality of Ervedosa do Douro in the Portuguese region of Douro
on the banks of the river of the same name. The traditional company was founded in 1764 by the Irishman James Archibald. He brought back vines from Burgundy, including the Tinta Francisca
. His son Diogo Archibald accompanied the inspectors of the Marquês de Pombal
(1699-1782) during the famous demarcation of the region in 1757. Since 1815 the farm has been owned by the van Zeller family. Today it is run by João van Zeller, a distant relative of the Symington
family, who is the sixth generation of the family to run it. The vineyards cover 42 hectares at an altitude of 125 to 250 metres above sea level, on the southern bank of the river, and are planted with Touriga Nacional, Tinta Barroca, Touriga Francesa, Tinta Roriz (Tempranillo), Tinta Cão, Sousão, Tinta Amarela (Trincadeira Preta) and Tinta Francisca. For a long time there was a partnership with the Symington company, but this was amicably dissolved in 2008. The wines are traditionally fermented in the Lagars
(stone troughs). The product range includes port wines
and red wines of the DOC Douro.