At the beginning of the 14th century, the Cistercian order brought viticulture to the Mark Brandenburg. This encompassed the largest part of the present-day federal state of Brandenburg in northeastern Germany. From the beginning of the 15th century, the Hohenzollerns took over and promoted viticulture. In this context, many electoral vineyards were created and from then on, Mark wines were never lacking at the electoral table. By the end of the 17th century there were still over 100 hectares of vineyards in the Mark. At the beginning of the 18th century it became the core province of the Kingdom of Prussia. With the founding of the GDR, Brandenburg became part of the new state, but the part east of the Oder-Neisse line fell to Poland. After reunification, the federal state of Brandenburg was created in 1990. The last vines froze to death in the extremely cold winter of 1955/1956. It was not until 1985 that vineyards were planted again on what was then four hectares of land in the Werderan Wachtelberg.
The Werderaner Wachtelberg is located in the town of Werder an der Havel near Potsdam southwest of Berlin. The area has been part of the German Saale-Unstrut wine-growing region since 1991, but is geographically outside this area. The area has been approved by the EU for the production of quality wines. The vineyard, which is owned by the city of Werder, comprises six hectares of vineyards on deep sandy soil. The white wine varieties Müller-Thurgau, Saphira, Sauvignon Blanc and Kernling, as well as the red wine varieties Regent and Dornfelder are cultivated. Dr. Manfred Lindicke took over the cultivation in 1996. However, the wines are matured in the Landesweingut Kloster Pforta (Saalhäuser, Bad Kösen). In 2002, two wine trails with 40 white and red grape varieties each were created and a bunch tavern was opened. The Werderaner Wachtelberg, with 52 degrees and 23 minutes, is the northernmost vineyard in the world in terms of quality viticulture.