Log in Become a Member


DOC area for red wines, rosé wines and white wines in the Italian region of Tuscany, 40 kilometres northeast of Florence The zone includes the municipality of Pomino in the province of Firenze. Through Grand Duke Cosimo III. (1642-1723) granted this area (along with Chianti and Carmignano) legal status and a protected designation of origin in 1716. It was revived by the Frescobaldi winery, which operates one of its many wineries here and also owns the majority of the vineyards. The zone with the highest Tuscan vineyards includes the south-western slopes around the Rufina district of Pomino. The vineyards are located up to 700 metres above sea level on the Consuma Pass in the Apennines. If the grapes come from classified vineyards, Vigna followed by the name of the vineyard can be indicated on the label

The Bianco is made from Chardonnay and/or Pinot Grigio = Pinot Gris and/or Pinot Bianco = Pinot Blanc (zum. 70%), as well as other approved varieties (max. 30%). The Rosso is blended from Sangiovese (50%), Pinot Nero = Pinot Noir and/or Merlot (max. 50%), as well as other approved varieties (max. 25%). Both are also available as Vendemmia tardiva(late harvest) and as Riserva. The pure variety wines must contain at least 85% of the respective variety, the remaining 15% can be other approved varieties. These are the two white wines Chardonnay and Sauvignon(Sauvignon Blanc), and the two red wines Pinot Nero and Merlot.

The white Vin Santo is produced from the varieties Pinot Bianco and/or Pinot Grigio and/or Chardonnay and/or Trebbiano Toscano. The rosé Vin Santo Occhio di Pernice is produced from the same varieties as the Rosso. The wine types Spumante and Spumante Rosato or Spumante Rosé (both also as Riserva) are made from Chardonnay and/or Pinot Bianco and/or Pinot Nero (to 70%). They must be stored on the yeast for at least 24 months.

The world's largest Lexikon of wine terms.

23.121 Keywords · 48.184 Synonyms · 5.311 Translations · 28.435 Pronunciations · 155.896 Cross-references
made with by our Experts. About the Lexicon


Cookies facilitate the provision of our services. By using our services, you agree that we use cookies.