The Champagne House was founded in 1849 by Paul Roger (1831-1899) in Éperney. His sons Maurice and Georges changed the family name to Pol-Roger according to the French pronunciation of Paul. In the beginning there were no vineyards of their own and no cellar, but wines were produced for other champagne houses. Only many years later was production and marketing under their own name. They concentrated especially on the English market, the first bottles were exported in 1876. Today's estate comprises about 85 hectares of vineyards in the best locations, from where one third of the production comes from
Created in 1984, the Cuvée de Prestige
is called "Sir Winston Churchill" and is assembled from Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. The name was given in honour of the English politician (1874-1965). He preferred to drink champagne
from this house and named his race horse "Odette Pol-Roger" after a family member he held in high esteem. For 25 years after Churchill's death, the company provided its labels with black borders. Pol Roger is one of the few champagne houses that have remained in family ownership. Today's boss Hubert de Billy comes from the fifth generation. The company is a member of the renowned association PFV
(Primum Familiae Vini).