You are using an old browser that may not function as expected. For a better, safer browsing experience, please upgrade your browser.

Log in Become a Member


Term for collecting (grch. philos = friend, preference/tilt for certain objects) the small metal capsules that are common for sparkling wine bottles and are located between agraffe (wire mesh) and cork. These capsules, which are called "Plaque de muselet" in French, serve as an advertising medium through corresponding imprints. Especially in France there is a large collector's scene of champagne bottle capsules, whereby of course especially old brands are very sought after. The term is composed of "placomuso" and "philie". Placomuso is a made-up word, which was formed from "plaque" (plaque) and "muselet" (wire basket = agraffe).

The world's largest Lexikon of wine terms.

24.358 Keywords · 48.032 Synonyms · 5.311 Translations · 29.674 Pronunciations · 164.360 Cross-references
made with by our Experts. About the Lexicon