Popular vineyard name in German-speaking countries. It derives from the fact that vineyards were very often owned by the church (the "Pfaffen" = priests) or monasteries in the past.
The vineyard was already mentioned in 1230. A popular saying was: "The Kremser does not like the Pfaffen, but he likes to drink the Pfaffenberger". At first, the Pfaffenberg belonged to the bishops of Passau and was taken as a fiefdom in 1241 by the last Babenberg Duke Frederick the Quarrelsome (1210-1246). It then came into the possession of the Austrian ruling house of Habsburg. In 1974, the vineyard was assigned to the 195-hectare "Flur Pfaffenberg". It extends over two wine-growing areas and comprises a total of 25 hectares of vineyards. The much smaller part with eight hectares is located in the municipality of Rothenhof in the Wachau. The larger part with 17 hectares is located in Stein-Krems in the Kremstal.