Popular name for vineyard sites and vineyards in German-speaking countries. It is derived from the fact that in the past vineyards were often owned by the church (the "Pfaffen" = priests) or monasteries.
The reed was already mentioned in 1230. A winged word in the vernacular was: "The Kremser does not like the Pfaffen, but the Pfaffenberger he likes to drink". At first the Pfaffenberg belonged to the bishops of Passau and was taken as a fiefdom in 1241 by the last Babenberg duke Friedrich the Quarrelsome (1210-1246). Afterwards it came into the possession of the Austrian ruling house Habsburg. In 1974 the reed was assigned to the 195 hectare "Flur Pfaffenberg". It extends over two wine-growing areas and comprises a total of 25 hectares of vineyards. The much smaller part with eight hectares is located in the community of Rothenhof in the Wachau. The larger part with 17 hectares is located in Stein-Krems in the Kremstal.