Log in Become a Member

Nubbed glass

Designation (also known as nubbed glass) for jugs and cups made of glass, onto which nubs (raised areas) were fused on the outside for better grip. Until the end of the 14th century the nubs had a snail-like shape, from then on they became sharper. In the 19th century, the knobs were very small and the glasses were also called "wart cups". In terms of their composition, Roman glass and the glass known as ribbed glass in Hesse are similar. The Dubbeglass and the Mainz rod have no elevations but depressions for the same purpose. See also under wine vessels and wine glasses.

Gläser: Geripptes, Dubbegls, Mainzer Stange

Ribbed: From photo of Hydro at Wikipedia, CC-BY-SA 4.0, link
Dubbeglas: From Peisi in Wikipedia in German by User:Peisi, Gemeinfrei, Link
Mainzer Stange: From Symposiarch - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, Link

The world's largest Lexikon of wine terms.

23.121 Keywords · 48.184 Synonyms · 5.311 Translations · 28.435 Pronunciations · 155.896 Cross-references
made with by our Experts. About the Lexicon


Cookies facilitate the provision of our services. By using our services, you agree that we use cookies.