The Swiss botanist, oenologist and vine grower Dr. h.c. Hermann Müller (1850-1927) named himself after his home canton Müller-Thurgau. He first attended the teacher training seminar and then became a teacher at the secondary school in Stein am Rhein. He then studied in Zurich at what is now the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), graduating in 1872 with a diploma in natural sciences. After studying at the University of Neuchâtel (Switzerland), he moved in 1872 to the former Botanical Institute of the University of Würzburg, where he received his doctorate in 1874. From 1876 to 1890 he worked in a leading position at the plant physiological experimental station of the Geisenheim Research Institute. In 1891 he was appointed to the Experimental Station for Fruit, Wine and Horticulture in Wädenswil, today's Agroscope Changins-Wädenswil, where he became director.