Located in the municipality of Odernheim in the German Nahe
wine growing region, which is named after the monastery of the same name. Saint Disibod (619-700) was an Irish monk. On his wanderings, Disibod came to a place in the Nahe valley which, according to legend, was predestined in a dream "...where two rivers meet"
. Disibod found it at the confluence of the Nahe and Glan rivers near Odernheim. After Disibod's death, a church and a monastery-like complex were built on the mountain. After an eventful history, a Benedictine monastery
was founded here in 1108. The famous mystic Hildegard von Bingen
(1098-1179) entered the monastery as a young novice in 1112. In 1259, Cistercians
from Otterberg Monastery (a daughter foundation of Eberbach
Monastery) took over the monastery. In 1985 the building, which now exists only as a ruin, was partially renovated. The last private owner, Ehrengard Freifrau von Racknitz, transferred the former monastery grounds to the Disibodenberg SCIVIAS Foundation in 1989.
The terraced vineyard, facing south to south-east at an altitude of 138 to 216 metres above sea level with a slope gradient of 5 to 60%, comprises almost nine hectares of vineyards. It is located on the ridge below the former monastery complex between the rivers Nahe and Glan and is protected from westerly winds. The heat-storing 11 kilometres of dry stone walls made of sandstone provide a special microclimate on the terraces. The soil consists of relatively solid sedimentary rocks (sandstone, siltstone, slaty claystone) or red clay with a high proportion of fine earth. Riesling and Pinot Gris are cultivated here in particular. In November 2008, five feral vines of the Orléans
variety were found there in an uncultivated area, probably many centuries old. The Grossarth
, Klostermühle Odernheim
and mostly Racknitz
wineries, for example, have shares in the site.