In the early 1880s, two Canadian irrigation engineers, George Chaffey (1848-1932) and William Benjamin Chaffey (1856-1926), were commissioned by the government in the Australian state of Victoria to take measures in what is now the Murray Darling area to deal with the drought problems there. As a result, large agricultural areas were created by artificial irrigation. In 1887 the present town of Mildura was founded and within only four years 3,300 settlers moved here. In 1888 the two brothers also acquired land in the area of the former sheep station "Jamiesons Run", planted vines on 150 hectares and named their property Château Mildura. The first vintage was produced in 1891. The estate was then taken over by Mildura Winery Pty Ltd in 1910 (renamed Mildara Winery Pty Ltd in 1937). In 1934, Harry Ron Haselgrove (1900-1978), who had worked in the cognac region, was hired as a consultant. He later became chairman of the company and was responsible for the company until 1971. Haselgrove expanded the product range to include sherry style wines and brandies.
Haselgrove acquired 12.5 hectares in the Coonawarra area in 1956, which has grown to 255 hectares today. A new winery was opened in 1963. A Bordeaux-style red wine(Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Shiraz) was created in 1987 under the historic name "Jamiesons Run". Two years later a Chardonnay was released under the same name. In 1991, a merger with the winery of the wine-growing pioneer Wolf Blass (*1934) took place and the company now traded under the name of Mildara Blass. The estate included renowned wineries such as Baileys of Glenrowan, Ingoldby, Maglieri, Rothbury Estate, Saltram, St. Huberts, Yarra Ridge and Yellowglen. Finally Mildara Blass was acquired by Multi Foster's in 1996. The purchase of the Californian Beringer Winery in 2001 created Multi Beringer Blass Wine Estates, which became Foster's Wine Estates in 2005 and finally Treasury Wine Estates in 2011.