The Champagne House with its headquarters in Épernay was founded in 1858 by Eugène Mercier (1838-1904). For the 1889 World Exhibition in Paris, he had a huge barrel built with a capacity of 1,600 hectolitres, which was drawn to the capital by 24 oxen (horses in other sources) in three weeks. The barrel is now on display in the entrance hall of Mercier in Épernay. His aim was to make champagne affordable for the average citizen. Built under the founder from 1871, the impressive cellar labyrinth stretches 18 kilometres 30 metres below the Avenue de Champagne in Epernay. It is served by the company's own small electric train. It is worth mentioning that Mercier was the original owner of the "Dom Pérignon" brand, but never used it. In 1930, the brand was sold to Moët et Chandon, who also took over the Mercier company in 1970. Since 1987, they have both been part of the LVMH group (Louis Vuitton Moët Hennessy).
About 20% of the grapes come from its own vineyards, with over 200 hectares of vines, mainly in the Marne valley, the rest being supplied by the parent company Moët et Chandon. The mainly dry Brut champagnes are produced in a Pinot Noir style. Each year, a vintage champagne "Vendange" is produced, made from the best grapes of the Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier and Chardonnay varieties of the harvest. Six million bottles of champagne are produced each year. In France, Mercier is still the best-selling champagne, although some other companies produce much more, but export large quantities.