The winery in Atripalda in the province of Avellino in the Italian region of Campania
was founded in 1878 on a family estate that had already existed since the 18th century. Originally, it was a trading house that purchased grapes from contracted winegrowers and produced wine from them. In the 1970s, the company acquired its own vineyards and the brothers Antonio and Walter Mastroberardino set new standards in Campania viticulture. Today the vineyards cover around 420 hectares. The traditional old local varieties in particular are cultivated and reactivated. These are above all Aglianico, Coda di Volpe, Greco, Fiano (Latino) and Piedirosso. In 1994 Dr. Antonio Mastroberardino was awarded the "Cavaliere al Merito del Lavoro" for his services to Italian viticulture. In 1980 there was a severe earthquake and the cellars in Atripalda, which were destroyed in the earthquake, were completely renovated
The three DOCG wines Fiano di Avellino
, Greco di Tufo
are produced. The winery has rendered outstanding services to the DOC wine Vesuvio Lacryma Christi
. Produced IGT's are, for example, "Avalon Pompeiano Rosso", which is made from Piedirosso (90%) and Aglianico (10%), aged for 12 months in barrique and six months in the bottle. The "Avalon Pompeiano Bianco" is made from Coda di Volpe, matured for two months in barrique and aged for six months in bottle. The new IGT "Naturalis Historia" is blended from Aglianico (85%) and Piedirosso (15%), matures for 24 months in barrique and ages for eight months in the bottle. The name was given in honour of Pliny the Elder
(23-79) after his main work. In 1994 the estate was divided into two wineries. Antonio Mastroberardino kept the winery in Atripalda and continues to run the winery under his family name. Walter Mastroberardino founded the Terredora
winery with his sons Carlo and Paolo. It covers 120 hectares of vineyards.