The origin of the company goes back to the year 1922, when the Genoa-born Italian Louis Michael Martini (1887-1974) founded his first winery in Pleasanton/California. He had already made wine with his father and worked as a consultant for wineries. During the prohibition, which began shortly afterwards, he mainly produced mass wine. After the end of 1933, he founded a new winery at the present location in St. Helena in the Californian Napa Valley. In 1938, the old Goldstein Ranch was purchased from Sonoma and named "Monte Rosso Vineyards". From 1954 son Louis Peter Martini (1918-1998) took over the management, followed in 1977 by Michael Martini (born 1949) and his sister Carolyn Martini in the third generation. Michael Martini was also president of the Napa Valley Vintners Association and the American Society of Enology & Viticulture. In 2002 the company was taken over by the beverage multinational Gallo. The vineyards cover 320 hectares in Napa and Sonoma County. They are planted with the red wine varieties Barbera, Cabernet Sauvignon, Gamay Noir, Merlot, Pinot Noir and Zinfandel, and the white wine varieties Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc, Folle Blanche, Gewürztraminer and Riesling. Cabernet Sauvignon is considered the most important quality variety, from which the best wines are also made (Sonoma Valley Monte Rosso, Alexander Valley, Napa Valley and Sonoma County).