The champagne house "Lanson Pére & Fils" in Reims was founded in 1760 by François Delamotte. In 1798 his son Nicolas-Louis Delamotte took over the management and introduced the Maltese Cross as the company's emblem. Together with Jean-Baptiste Lanson, he transformed the winery into a company that was later named "Lanson et Cie". In the second half of the 19th century Lanson was appointed official purveyor to the court of the English, Swedish and Spanish royal house. Since 1991 the company has been owned by a consortium led by Marne et Champagne. The champagnes
are produced with a high proportion of Pinot Noir (around 50%) and Chardonnay. The Cuvée de Prestige
is called "Noble Cuvée" with a higher proportion of Chardonnay (70%). The company's own vineyards cover 210 hectares, of which a third of the production is made up of vines. Almost five million bottles of champagne are produced annually.