The winery is located in the municipality of Appenheim ( Bingen area) in the German wine-growing region of Rheinhessen. The traditional family has been growing grapes since the end of the 19th century. The foundation stone was laid by the grandparents Erwin and Magdalena Knewitz when they moved to the present location. In 1976, wine was bottled for the first time under the management of Gerold Knewitz. After studying oenology in Geisenheim and a number of practical training periods, Tobias Knewitz, the third generation of the Knewitz family, has been running the winery since 2009 with a focus on natural viticulture. He is supported by his partner Corina Knorr and brother Björn. The saying coined by the French writer Colette (1873-1954) is considered the guiding principle of the house: Only wine allows man to understand the taste of the earth.