Riede (location) in the municipality of Weißenkirchen in the Lower Austrian wine-growing region of Wachau. It was first mentioned in documents as early as 1386. The name is derived from the fact that the vineyard used to be the only one in the Wachau to reach directly to the banks of the Danube. Klaus (Klause) comes from the Latin "claudere", which means to close. According to another interpretation, it can be traced back to the old term "Kleyss" for a narrow place, which is the old narrow Wachau path that still exists along the Klaus. The Klaus is, so to speak, the continuation of the Achleiten estate and is separated from it by a path.
The steeply terraced vineyards facing southeast at an altitude of 204 to 327 metres above sea level have a slope of up to 77% and cover 13.5 hectares. The lower parts of the vineyards are susceptible to frost. The soils lie on weathered gneiss and slate. Incidentally, the first irrigation system in the Wachau was installed in the Klaus vineyard for the purpose of artificial irrigation. A comfortable footpath leads through the vineyards to the upper part of the vineyard, from where you can enjoy a magnificent view of the Wachau landscape. The two white wine varieties Grüner Veltliner and Riesling are cultivated here. Shares in the vineyard are held, for example, by the wineries Gritsch Mauritiushof, Jamek Josef, Holzapfel Karl, Kartäuserhof and Prager.