The winery is located in the municipality of Bolzano (Bozen) in the Italian wine-growing area of South Tyrol (Trentino-Alto Adige region). The traditional farm was already called "Dornhof" in 1278 with one owner Frederici Dorn. The winery owes its present name to the owner Josef Anton Schloterpöck, who was mentioned in 1777 as "Kandler" (tin caster). The farm was then acquired by Johann Spornberger in 1793. The descendant Martin Gregor Spornberger started bottling at the end of the 1960s. Today the farm is run by his son Martin and Irene Spornberger, supported by son Hannes. The long family ownership was finally taken into account in 1993 by the Province of South Tyrol with the title "Erbhof".
The vineyards comprise seven hectares of vineyards in the "Pergl"(pergola) training system. Three quarters of them are planted with the red wine varieties Vernatsch, Lagrein and Merlot, and one quarter with the white wine variety Sauvignon Blanc. The vineyards are cultivated in the conventional way. The wines are matured in the old vaulted cellar in a manner typical of the variety and location, the white wines in steel tanks, the red wines in large wooden barrels. They are mainly produced as quality wines DOC South Tyrolean. The most important and typical wine of the farm is St. Magdalener Classico. About 20,000 bottles of wine are produced annually. The winery is a member of the associations Freie Weinbauern Südtirol and Roter Hahn (farm holidays).