The winery is located in the community of Bockenheim (area Mittelhaardt-Deutsche Weinstraße) in the German wine-growing region Palatinate. The history of the estate dates back to the 12th century. In the 16th century, Count Emich XI of Leiningen converted the rustic castle into a small palace. In 1831 Heinrich Janson acquired the estate with its fields and vineyards and gave it its present name. Of the buildings of that time, only foundations remained, on which the present wine cellar is located. Since the early 1980s, the estate has been run purely as a winery. The sixth and seventh generations of the family, Kurt and Annesuse Janson, are now running the estate, supported by their children Kurt and Sarah.