The distillery "Gebr. J. & M. Ziegler GmbH" was founded in 1865 in Freudenberg am Main by Josef Ziegler as a brewery with the right to distil and as a public house. An important milestone in the 1980s was the introduction of the noble brandy Wild Cherry No. 1, which made its way into the top gastronomy. In 1992 the company was taken over by the Leibrand family. Finally, in 1998, it came into the possession of the Wein Wolf company, which has been part of the German wine trading group Hawesko Holding AG since 2000.
Ziegler is one of the leading German distilleries. The fruit is supplied by selected fruit growers throughout Europe. The distillation is carried out in the traditional double distillation process. The products rest for several years in the designated containers. The fruit brandies mature in stainless steel, selected berry brandies and rarities in glass balloons. For the berry and pome fruit brandies these are at least three and for stone fruit brandies at least five years. The product range includes various brandies (many types of fruit and berries), fruit vinegars, gin, liqueurs, rum and whisky. In 2008 the introduction of the single malt whisky AUREUM followed. For the maturing process many types of casks and wood from German chestnut and French Allier oak are used. In the first year only new casks are used. The finishing takes place in sherry casks of González Byass.