The winery is located in the municipality of Morscheid in the German Mosel wine region. The first documentary mention dates back to 1349. 1999 was the year in which the 650th anniversary of the house was celebrated. Friedrich von Kesselstatt was appointed by the Elector in 1377 as administrator of the wineries of the court. When Hugo Casimir Count von Kesselstatt was County Court Chamberlain from 1761 to 1794, Elector Clemens Wenzeslaus of Saxony Wettin issued a decree in 1787 to plant better vines in the future in place of the "reprehensible Rhenish vines", by which he meant primarily Riesling. In 1978 it was taken over by the Reh family and is managed by Gerhard Gartner. The former seat of the winery was the Palais Kesselstatt in Trier, which was built between 1740 and 1746 on the foundations of a Roman glass-blowing workshop in baroque style. Today the restaurant and wine bar of the winery are located there. In 1999 the seat was moved to Marienlay Castle in the Ruwer Valley. Already since 1988 all wines are produced there in the newly built winery.