The winery is located in the community of Enkirch in the German Moselle wine region. It is one of the oldest wineries on the Moselle. The middle part of the vineyard, which is still preserved today, was first mentioned in 908 in a document of the Carolingian King Ludwig IV. (893-911), in which a transfer of the estate to the church was confirmed. The base of the building dates from the second half of the 9th century. The supporting basalt column in the deep cellar is of Roman origin. The Immich family was particularly influential in the history and development of the estate. With a viticultural history from 1425 to 1989, they are one of the oldest winegrowing families in the Moselle.
The estate was founded in its present form by Carl August Immich. From 1841 to 1846 he worked a vineyard with countless explosive charges to achieve the best slope and orientation to the sun. This is why the vineyard was later named "Batterieberg". The company was acquired in 2010 by the two Hamburg families Auerbach and Probst. Since the 2009 vintage, Gernot Kollmann has been responsible for the management and wine development. After studying wine business management in Heilbronn, he worked in a responsible position at the Bischöfliche Weingüter Trier and Van Volxem wineries, and then as a wine consultant at various wineries. Karl Höhlein is responsible for the vineyards.
The vineyards comprise 7.5 hectares of vineyards in the individual sites of Batterieberg (sole ownership), Ellergrub, Steffensberg and Zeppwingert (Enkirch). Only Riesling vines are cultivated in traditional Moselle pole training, which are on average 60 years old and have largely unaltered roots. The grapes are harvested very late at optimal ripeness. The wines are mainly dry and aged with the aim of longevity in stainless steel tanks or in traditional large wooden barrels with long storage on full yeast. According to the tradition of the former natural wines, pure yeasts, enzymes, protein stabilisation, clarification aids and deacidification are not used.