single vineyard in the municipality of Appenheim ( Bingen area) in the German wine-growing region of Rheinhessen. It was mentioned in documents as early as 1148, when it was donated by Pope Eugene III. (+1153) to the Disiboden monastery. However, the current name, which refers to the high quality of the wine, only came into being in the 14th century, when the site changed hands several times and large sums of money in Rhenish gold florins were paid for it. The southwest to south-facing vineyards, with slopes ranging from 20 to 40%, cover 56 hectares of vineyards, of which only 26 are planted. The core area covers 10 hectares and is one of the most limestone-rich sites in Germany. The soils consist of tertiary limestone in the depths, as well as limestone marl and slightly stony hanging loam in the topsoil. Riesling is the main variety cultivated here. The wineries Bischel Hartmut, Gres Hans-Jürgen, Hofmann Jürgen and Knewitz, for example, have shares in the site.