The winery is located in the municipality of Niederhausen in the German wine-growing region of Nahe. It was founded in 1902 by the Prussian state as the "Königlich Preußische Weinbaudomäne". The estate was run as a classical viticultural domain with the aim of a teaching and model estate to promote the revival and development of viticulture, which had been devastated by phylloxera. The site included a former copper prospecting site, which is now the famous Kupfergrube. To round out the vineyards, 300,000 cubic metres of earth were moved, and the first grape harvest could not take place until 1907. In 1946, the state domain became the property of the state of Rhineland-Palatinate and was run under "Gutsverwaltung Niederhausen-Schloßböckelheim". In 1998, the estate was privatised and finally acquired and renamed by Jens Reidel and Dr. Christine Dinse in 2009. Karsten Peter is responsible as the farm manager.