See under Heidsieck.
Today there are three different champagne houses in Reims that use the name Heidsieck in their company name. The complicated history began when the German-born Florence-Ludwig Heidsieck (1749-1828) from Westphalia settled in Reims in 1777 and from then on called himself Florens-Louis Heidsieck. Shortly afterwards he married the daughter of the wealthy textile entrepreneur Nicolas Perthois. Already in 1780 he began to produce his own wine and founded his own champagne house with his son in 1785. In 1785 he was received by Queen Marie-Antoinette (1755-1793). When the son of the founder died at a young age, Florens-Louis Heidsieck took three of his nephews into the company. Henri-Louis Waldbaum was the first to join the company in 1795, followed by Charles-Henri Heidsieck in 1805 and Christian Heidsieck, Charles-Henri's younger brother, in 1808. The production was mainly based on the sales of all European princes and royal courts of that time, because champagne was the very popular drink of the ruling class. Shortly before Napoleon (1769-1821) invaded Russia in 1812, Charles-Henri Heidsieck initiated a sensational advertising stunt. He announced that he would travel on a grey horse from Reims to Moscow. In fact, a few weeks before the French army arrived in Moscow, he rode in with several cases of champagne in his marching baggage.
Charles-Henri died in 1824 four years before his uncle Florens-Louis Heidsieck and left beside his widow his two-year-old son Charles Camille Heidsieck (1822-1893), who later founded one of the three Heidsieck houses (see below). The remaining nephews decided to temporarily suspend the trade. A little later Henri-Louis Waldbaum and Christian Heidsieck started again with the champagne trade. Soon after, this new alliance fell apart and the two nephews went their separate ways. As a result, three companies with the name Heidsieck developed, and legal disputes were inevitable. When Heidsieck Monopole celebrated its hundredth anniversary in 1885, there was trouble with the house of Charles Heidsieck. However, since Charles Heidsieck was later founded as Heidsieck Monopole and Piper-Heidsieck, the court allowed both Heidsieck Monopole and Piper-Heidsieck to refer to 1785. But the long dispute has long been buried.
Henri-Louis Waldbaum founded the company Waldbaum-Heidsieck & Co. in 1834 together with his brother-in-law Auguste Heidsieck. After the death of Auguste Heidsieck in 1870, the company traded under different names such as Veuve Heidsieck and Luling, Goulden & Co. In 1923 Edouard Mignot bought it and the name Heidsieck & Co. Monopole was established. The company was gradually taken over by the champagne house...