The traditional winery is located in the municipality of Halbturn in the Burgenland wine-growing region of Neusiedlersee
(Austria). Its history dates back to 1214, when the Counts of Poth established the first vineyards of the Hungarian-Altenburg dominion in the municipality of Jois
by purchasing 14 curia. From 1527 onwards, the imperial court in Vienna
under Ferdinand I. (1503-1564) was supplied with wine from the estate. The present castle was built in 1711 by the famous baroque architect Lucas von Hildebrandt (1668-1745) and once served the Austrian imperial family as a hunting and summer residence. Under Baron Paul Waldbott-Bassenheim, vineyards were first planted in Halbturn in 1960. Today the 40 hectare site is Austria's largest privately owned vineyard.
In 2001 Markus Graf zu Knigsegg, a nephew of Baron Paul Waldbott-Bassenheim, took over the management of the castle winery together with his wife Philippa. Together with a new, international team, the restructuring and reorientation was begun. Mediocre vineyards were removed and replanted. Four hectares of new terraces were laid out on the Jungenberg in Jois. The high planting density of 7,800 vines per hectare, in line with the large châteaux in Bordeaux and Burgundy, promotes the natural competitive behaviour of the grapes. The winery has also been rebuilt in the Bordeaux style (Châi) and equipped with the latest technology. Oenologist François-Xavier Gaboriaud, who comes from St. Émilion, is responsible for the cellar. The manager of the winery is Markus Sieben
The vineyards cover a total of 65 hectares. These are 40 hectares in the Wittmannshof (Halbturn), 10 hectares on the Jungenberg (Jois) and 15 hectares on the slopes of the Leithagebirge (Kleinhöflein). They are 90% planted with the red wine varieties Pinot Noir, St. Laurent, Blaufränkisch
, Zweigelt, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot, and 10% with the white wine varieties Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Riesling. The vineyards are cultivated in accordance with biodynamic
principles. The hand-picked grapes are selected once before and once after destemming, berry by berry, by hand by 20 employees
The wine lines are clearly structured. The line "Schloss Halbturn" represents the pure, qualitative top quality. The long-lasting, terroir-influenced wines originate from the best sites and are aged exclusively in French barriques. They are subject to the quality criteria of hand-picked berries, double selection in the cellar and fermentation in open wooden fermentation racks
. The "Schloss Halbturn Impérial" line includes the top cuvées in white and red, in which international grape varieties are combined with the autochthonous leading varieties of Burgenland. The "Schloss Halbturn Koenigsegg" line represents the Burgenland variety type. The wines are vinified in stainless steel or large wooden barrels or used barriques in the classic style, typical for the region.