The traditional Champagne House in Reims in the northeast of France with the current name G.H. Mumm Champagne was founded in 1827 by the three brothers Jacobus (1779-1835), Gottlieb (1782-1852) and Philipp Mumm (1779-1835), who came from Hesse-Germany, and Friedrich Giesler and G. Heuser from the Rhineland. Initially the company traded under the name P. A. Mumm & Co. The "P. A." refers to the father of the three brothers, Peter-Arnold Mumm (1733-1797), who had already founded a wine trade in the Rhineland in Germany in 1761. In the beginning there were no vineyards of their own, but already in the founding year a large amount of champagne was exported to Germany, Belgium, England and Russia. Already in 1837 Friedrich Giesler split up and founded his own company. After the death of Gottlieb Mumm in 1852, the partners fell out and two companies were established in Reims.