The origin of the romantic castle in the community of Grafenegg (Etsdorf-Haitzendorf) in Lower Austria, 14 kilometres east of Krems, lies at the end of the 13th century. In the following centuries the owners changed several times, who extended the estate step by step. At the beginning of the 17th century, the castle was given the shape that is still partially preserved today. In the middle of the 19th century the castle and a spacious landscape garden were created in the style of English castle Gothic under the then owner August Ferdinand Count Breuner (1801-1900). During the Russian occupation from 1945 to 1955 the castle was completely devastated. Afterwards it was completely renovated by Franz Albrecht Metternich-Sándor with the support of the federal and state governments, who opened the castle to the public.