The family winery was born, so to speak, in 1857 when Julius Wegeler (1836-1913) joined the Deinhard
wine and champagne house in Koblenz. Wegeler was given the special task of representing and expanding the export business in England, Belgium and the Netherlands. He was very successful in this, sales flourished and business with the British Empire continued to expand. Julius Wegeler, by now married to Deinhard's daughter Emma, was appointed to the management in 1864, took over the parent company in Koblenz and became a shareholder in the business. The company was now renamed Deinhard & Co. After the early death of August Deinhard, Wegeler took over the management of the company together with his brother Karl and his later brother-in-law Johann Jacob Hasslacher. In 1876, Wegeler became a member of the presidium of the German Winegrowers' Association, of which he was also the first president from 1893 to 1905. In 1893, Julius Wegeler was appointed a privy councillor. During his time in office, the two famous sparkling wine brands "Deinhard Cabinet" and "Deinhard Lila" were created, which are still produced today.