The winery is located in Trier (Bernkastel area) in the German Moselle wine-growing region. The origins of the former foundation vineyard date back to 1561, when the Jesuit College in Trier was opened. The vineyard property originates mainly from donations by Archbishop Johann v. d. Leyen and Archbishop Jacob zu Eltz (1561-1581). In 1773, the Jesuit College was dissolved and continued as the "Electoral Grammar School". By imperial decree of Napoleon (1769-1821), the vineyards were returned to the school in 1805. The property remained in Prussian times. The French "Collège" was renamed "Friedrich-Wilhelm-Gymnasium" in 1896. The vineyard was taken over in 2003 by the Episcopal Seminary of Trier, one of the shareholders of the Episcopal Vineyards of Trier.