The winery is located on Paarl Mountain in the Paarl Wine District of South Africa. Its origins date back to 1693, when the then Governor Simon van der Stel (1639-1712) granted land to the French Huguenot Steven Vervey. The first wine was produced in 1699. After several changes of ownership, the property was acquired by the Lithuanian Charles Back in 1937, developed by his son Cyril and now managed in the third generation by his grandson Charles. This grandson also owns the Spice Route Winery in the Swartland Wine District. The vineyards cover 300 hectares on the south-western foothills of the Paarl Mountain. In higher altitudes, weathered granite prevails and in the lower altitudes sandy loamy soil. Red grape varieties are cultivated to 80%. There are many innovative experiments with new grape varieties for South Africa and interesting blends with the Rhône varieties Carignan, Gamay Noir, Malbec, Mourvèdre and, for the first time in South Africa, Viognier. The traditional ones are Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc (Steen), Merlot, Muscat d'Alexandrie (Hanepoot), Pinotage, Sémillon, Shiraz and Zinfandel. Red wines are also produced with macération carbonique (carbonic maceration). The premium wines are "Akkerbos" (Chardonnay) and the Rhône-style "Goats de Roam". Almost 1.4 million bottles of wine are produced annually. Since 1980, goats have been bred on the farm for the production of cheese; the Goat Tower is also the winery's landmark.