The "Deutscher Weinbauverband e.V." (German Winegrowers' Association) with its headquarters in Bonn was founded as a professional organisation of German winegrowers in Trier in 1874 under the name "Deutscher Weinbauverein" (German Winegrowers' Association). The first president was Dr. Adolph Blankenhorn (1843-1906). In 1913, a streamlined organisational form was established under the present name. The first president was Franz Eberhard Buhl (1867-1921); owner of the Reichsrat von Buhl wine estate. Today, the DVW functions as the professional organisation of German winegrowers. The purpose of the association is to represent the overall interests of its members vis-à-vis international and national institutions and organisations at home and abroad, as well as to safeguard and promote the professional interests of the German winegrowers. The official organ is the magazine Der Deutsche Weinbau (German Viticulture ) with topics from viticulture and enology.