The winery is located in the community of Wachenheim (Mittelhaardt-Deutsche Weinstraße) in the German wine-growing region of the Palatinate. The roots go back to the end of the 16th century to Bernhard Bürklin (1580-1636). His Renaissance house, built in 1606, still stands today. It received its present name in 1875 when Luise Wolf (1848-1882) married Privy Councillor Dr. Albert Bürklin (1844-1924). After the turn of the century, he developed the estate into an absolute top-class business. The next owner was the great-nephew of privy councillor Dr. Albert Bürklin (1907-1979; see the family history in detail). In 1990 his daughter Bettina Bürklin-von Guradze and her husband Christoian Gurazde took over the estate. The winery subsequently introduced comprehensive measures to improve quality and was the initiator of Grosses Gewächs Pfalz with the aim of classifying Palatinate sites. Today the estate is one of the largest privately owned wineries in Germany. Since 2008 Steffen Brahner is responsible as managing director.
The vineyards cover 85 hectares of vineyard area. The sites have been classified according to our own strict criteria since 1994. According to the Burgundian system, they are divided into Grands Crus and Premiers Crus. The Grands Crus are Hohenmorgen, Kalkofen (Deidesheim), Jesuit garden, Kirchenstück, Pechstein, Ungeheuer (Forst) and Gaisböhl in exclusive possession (Ruppertsberg). The Premiers Crus are Altenberg, Böhlig, Gerümpel, Goldbächel and Rechbächel in exclusive possession (Wachenheim), Hoheburg (Ruppertsberg) and Langenmorgen (Deidesheim). About 80% of them are planted with Riesling, the rest withPinot Noir, PinotBlanc and Dornfelder. Since 2005, the entire vineyard has been cultivated according to the biodynamic rules of the BIODYVIN. The certification is carried out by Lacon. The winery is a member of the associations Die Güter and VDP.