The Champagne House "Champagne Deutz" was founded in 1838 by the two Germans in Aÿ William Guillaume Deutz (1809-1884) and Peter-Joseph-Hubert Geldermann (1810-1869). Deutz had learned the trade at the Bollinger Champagne House in Aÿ and had met his partner who was also employed there (as a salesman). In the late 1860s, René Deutz and Alfred Geldermann inherited the company from their fathers. Later Alfred Geldermann married Marie Deutz, René Deutz's sister, thus strengthening the bond between them. In 1882 Deutz was one of the founding members of the "Syndicat des Grandes Marques". Around 1900 it supplied European royal and imperial houses as well as South American state chancelleries. At the beginning of the 20th century a branch was founded in the Alsatian town of Hagenau, which was then moved to Breisach am Rhein (Baden) in 1924 under the name "Sektkellerei Deutz & Geldermann". In 1927, Deutz & Geldermann was converted into a public limited company. In 1988 the company was split into a champagne (Champagne Deutz) and a sparkling wine producer (Badische Geldermann Privat-Sektkellerei). The founder's daughter Marie Deutz had married a Renè Lallier, the Lallier family took over the Geldermann part.