wein.plus
Attention
You are using an old browser that may not function as expected.
For a better, safer browsing experience, please upgrade your browser.

Log in Become a Member

DOC area for red wines, rosé wines and white wines in the Italian region of Lazio. Alternatively, the designation Tuscia (after the historical landscape in central Italy; in ancient times Etruria, the land of the Etruscans) can also be used. The zone includes the municipalities of Acquapendente, Arlena di Castro, Bagnoregio, Barbarano Romano, Bassano in Teverina, Blera, Bolsena, Bomarzo, Canino, Capodimonte, Castiglione in Teverina, Celleno, Cellere, Civitella d'Agliano, Farnese, Gradoli, Graffignano, Grotte di Castro, Ischia di Castro, Latera, Lubriano, Marta, Montefiascone, Monte Romano, Onano, Oriolo Romano, Orte, Piansano, Proceno, San Lorenzo Nuovo, Tessennano, Tuscania, Valentano, Vejano, Vetralla, Villa San Giovanni in Tuscia, Viterbo and Vitorchiano in the province of Viterbo. Only in the municipalities of Capodimonte, Marta and in the district of San Savino (old town of Tuscania) is it also possible to use the name Cannaiola (derived from the grape variety Cannaiola di Marta/Canaiolo Nero). If the grapes come from classified vineyards, Vigna can be indicated followed by the vineyard name.

The single-varietal wines must contain at least 85% of the grape variety in question, with the white wines explicitly excluding the Malvasia Bianca di Candia variety for the remaining 15% because of its aromatic characteristic. The six red wines are Canaiolo (Canaiolo Nero), Grechetto (Grechetto Rosso), Merlot, Sangiovese, Sangiovese Rosato and Violone (Montepulciano). The five white wines are Grechetto Bianco (Grechetto di Orvieto), Moscatello and Moscatello Passito (Moscato Bianco = Muscat Blanc), Procanico (variety of Trebbiano Toscano) and Rossetto.

Bianco is blended from Procanico (40-80%), Malvasia Toscana or Malvasia del Lazio (max. 30%), as well as other authorised varieties (max. 30%). Rosso (also called Novello) and Rosato are made from Sangiovese (50-65%), Montepulciano (20-45%), as well as other authorised varieties (max. 30%). A Frizzante wines are made from Bianco, Grechetto, Moscatello, Procanico, Rosso, Rosato, Sangiovese and Sangiovese Rosato. Many of these wines are available in secco and amabile.

Voices of our members

Thorsten Rahn

The Wine lexicon helps me to stay up to date and refresh my knowledge. Thank you for this Lexicon that will never end in terms of topicality! That's what makes it so exciting to visit more often.

Thorsten Rahn
Restaurantleiter, Sommelier, Weindozent und Autor; Dresden

The world's largest Lexicon of wine terms.

26,266 Keywords · 46,879 Synonyms · 5,322 Translations · 31,599 Pronunciations · 193,359 Cross-references
made with by our author Norbert F. J. Tischelmayer. About the Lexicon

EVENTS NEAR YOU