The traditional "Weingut Wien Cobenzl" is located in the 19th district of Döbling in the district of Grinzing in the northwest of the Austrian capital in the middle of the Vienna Woods. Already in the 13th century wine was pressed at the Latisberg (today Cobenzl). In 1774 the property passed to Johann Philipp Count Cobenzl (1741-1810). He had a castle built with beautiful parks, temples and pavilions, where the Viennese court celebrated numerous glittering celebrations. After Count Cobenzl, the castle and grounds changed hands several times until the City of Vienna, under Mayor Dr. Karl Lueger (1844-1910), bought the Cobenzl estate in 1907 to create a recreational area. In the course of the years the estate was then converted to viticulture.
Since 1988 the manager of the estate has been Ing. Thomas Podsednik, since 2001 he has also been the master of the agricultural business of the town Vienna. The winery with a total of 48 hectares of vineyards consists of two parts. A 30 hectare part is located in the 19th district of Döbling, where the parent company is also located in the eponymous Cobenzl. The vineyards are scattered around the winery in the large vineyards Nußberg (Bellevue, Pfeffer, Pisenkopf, Plagen, Seidenhaus, Steinberg, Unterer Reisenberg, Wagenspear) and Kahlenberg. The second part with 18 hectares of vineyards is located on Bisamberg in the 21st district of Floridsdorf with the vineyards Falkenberg, Hofbreiten and Magdalenenhof. Another 45 hectares of vineyards are leased to Viennese winegrowers. The entire production process is based on certified criteria of Nachhaltig Austria.
75% of the vineyards are planted with the white wine varieties Grüner Veltliner,Pinot Blanc, Riesling, Wiener Gemischter Satz Classic (Gelber Muskateller, Goldburger, Grüner Veltliner, Pinot Blanc), Wiener Gemischter Satz Senator(Traminer, Pinot Blanc, Riesling, Grüner Veltliner, Rotgipfler, Zierfandler), and 25% with the red wine varieties Zweigelt, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Pinot Noir. Since the 2005 vintage there are three lines: Classic (young, lighter wines up to 12% vol.), Senator (strong wines from 12% vol.) and Lageweine (hand-picked grapes, high ageing potential). The labels show Viennese motifs such as St. Stephen's Cathedral, City Hall and Belvedere Palace. About 200,000 bottles of wine are produced annually. About 10% of these are exported to Germany, Netherlands, Japan and USA. A bottle-fermented sparkling wine and a Trebernschnaps are also produced. The winery is a member of the associations Traditionsweingüter Österreich and WienWein.