DOCG area for red wine in the Italian region of Tuscany. This wine, which is one step above the "normal" Chianti, comes from the classic zone defined as early as 1716 by Grand Duke Cosimo III of the Medici family. (1642-1723), but at that time it was much smaller. In 1932, other areas or municipalities were added to complete the current area. The very densely wooded area covers 70,000 hectares, but only 7,000 hectares are used for viticulture. The suburbs of Florence form the border to the north, the Chianti mountains to the east, the rivers Pesa and Elsa to the west and Siena to the south. The round 70 kilometre long wine road "Via Chiantigiana" connects the two cities of Florence and Siena. The area includes in its entirety the municipalities of Castellina, Gaiole, Greve and Radda, and in part the municipalities of Barberino Val d'Elsa, Castelnuovo Berardenga, Poggibonsi, San Casciano and Tavarnelle Val di Pesa.