The winery is located in the commune of Saint-Seurin-de-Cadourne in the Saint-Estèphe
area of the Médoc
(Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). Its origins go back to a Basque nobleman named Sociando, who is mentioned as the owner in 1633. After the French Revolution (1789-1799), the estate was confiscated and came into the possession of a Monsieur Lamothe, after whom it was also formerly named. The last part of the name was contributed by the next owner, a sea captain named Mallet. The château was not included in the Bordeaux classification of
1855, but this had nothing to do with the already high quality of the wines. The vineyard was simply too far north for the samples brought to Bordeaux for tasting. According to experts, it would deserve the second rank (Deuxième Cru Classé) today.