The winery is located in the municipality of Martillac in the Pessac-Léognan area of Graves (Bordeaux). Its origins date back to the middle of the 14th century, when the noble Bosq family started to grow wine here. In 1720, the estate was bought by the Scot George Smith. After several changes of ownership, the estate has been owned by the Cathiard family since 1990. Today it is run by Daniel and Florence Cathiard. The oenologists Michel Rolland (*1947), Pascal Ribéreau-Gayon (1930-2011) and Stéphane Derenoncourt (1963) provided consulting support during the restructuring. The vineyards cover 56 hectares. Of these, 45 are planted with the red varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (55%), Merlot (35%) and Cabernet Franc (10%), and 11 with the white varieties Sauvignon Blanc (90%), Sémillon (5%) and Sauvignon Gris (5%). The long-lasting red wine is aged for 20 months in 50 to 80% new barriques. Only this one is classified as "Cru Classé" according to the Graves classification. The second wine is called "Les Hauts de Smith". The white wine matures for 12 months in 50% new barriques.