The winery is located in the commune of Margaux in the area of the same name in the Médoc (Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). In 1661, the merchant Pierre des Mesures de Rausan (Rauzan) bought a large estate from the de Gassies family. This resulted in the creation of the Château Desmirail, Château Marquis-de-Terme and Château Rauzan vineyards. At the time of the French Revolution (1789-1799), Château Rauzan was divided in 1792 into the two wineries Château Rauzan-Gassies and the actual Château Rauzan-Ségla (but it was called Château Rausan-Ségla until 1994). The name came from the new owner Madame Ségla, a female descendant of the founder. The estate remained in the hands of the family until 1866. Subsequently, there were several owners, including the Cruse family.