The winery is located in the municipality of Moulis
(Moulis-en-Médoc) in the area of the same name in the Médoc
(Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). In the Bordeaux classification
according to the old system, which is no longer valid, it was last classified as "Cru Bourgeois Exceptionnel" in 2003. The vineyards had been known as "Salles de Poujeaux" since the 16th century and were in the same ownership as Château Latour
. Until the beginning of the 19th century, the Gressier family owned this part of the vineyards called "Grand-Poujeaux". The extensive property was acquired by the merchant André Castaing in 1806. In 1820, the estate was divided into Château Chasse-Spleen
, Château Gressier Grand-Poujeaux
, Château Maucaillou
and Château Poujeaux. In 1880, the estate in question was divided into three parts.