Log in Become a Member

Château Pontet-Canet

The winery is located in the commune of Pauillac in the Médoc (Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux) in the area of the same name. In 1750, Jean François de Pontet (Governor General of the Médoc) acquired a first plot of land, which was then extended by descendants in 1757 to include adjoining vineyards called "Canet". In 1862, the estate was purchased by the wine merchant Hermann Cruse and remained its owner for a long time. In 1960, the Cruse merchant bought the Château Haut-Bages-Libéral and added some vineyards of this estate to the more profitable Château Pontet-Canet. When this practice became known, Cruse had to part with both estates. In 1975, the descendant Emanuel Cruse sold it to his son-in-law Guy Tesseron. Today it is run by his son Alfred. The well-known oenologist Michel Rolland (*1947) is a consultant. In the 1855 Bordeaux classification, the estate was awarded fifth place (Cinquième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 80 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (60%), Merlot (33%), Cabernet-Franc (5%) and Petit Verdot (2%). The long-lasting red wine is aged for 16 to 20 months in barriques that are 60% new. The second wine from 1982 onwards was called "Les Hauts de Pontet", since the 2000 vintage "Les Hauts de Pontet-Canet".

The world's largest Lexikon of wine terms.

23.166 Keywords · 48.193 Synonyms · 5.311 Translations · 28.480 Pronunciations · 156.227 Cross-references
made with by our Experts. About the Lexicon

EVENTS NEAR YOU