The winery is located in the heart of the municipality of Pomerol in the area of the same name(Bordeaux). In the winery there is a small stone figure of the eponymous apostle. Although it won a gold medal at the 1878 World Exhibition in Paris, the winery was not well known internationally for a long time. This changed abruptly with the 1945 vintage, which is regarded as the wine of the century (see a bottle in the picture). In 1925, the estate became partly owned by Marie Louise Loubat (+1961) and was fully acquired by her in 1949. At that time, the vineyard comprised 6.5 hectares of Merlot (70%) and Cabernet Franc (30%). In that year, Jean-Pierre Moueix (1882-1957) took over the exclusive distribution of the wine. After the death of the owner in 1961, Moueix acquired one third of the shares, the other two inherited by Lily Lacoste (niece of Madame Loubat). In 1964, Moueix acquired further shares to make two thirds of the company. After the death of Jean-Pierre Moueix, his son Jean-François (*1945) took over the management in 2003. His brother Christian (*1946) is in charge of production.