The winery is located in the commune of Saint-Estèphe
in the area of the same name in the Médoc
(Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). The name means "rose-coloured mountain" and is derived from the colour of the ferrous soil. Its origin dates back to 1778, when the Ségur
family sold land to Etienne Théodore Dumoulin. His son Etienne Dumoulin started building the château in 1815 and planted vineyards at the same time. The Dumoulin family remained owners until 1866, when, after several changes of ownership, the estate was bought by Louis Charmolüe in 1896 and then managed by Jean-Louis Charmolüe. In 2006, it was acquired by the Bouygues brothers (telecommunications, civil engineering). In the 1855 Bordeaux classification
, the estate was awarded second place (Deuxième Cru Classé).