The winery is located in the commune of Saint-Estèphe
in the Médoc
(Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux) in the area of the same name. It was last classified
as "Cru Bourgeois Supérieur" in 2003 in the Bordeaux classification
according to the old system, which is no longer valid. The origin of the buildings, which are situated on a hill overlooking the mouth of the Gironde, goes back to the monastery "Prieuré des Couleys" built in 1662. This name was also on the label until the end of the 1990s. During the French Revolution (1789 to 1799) the estate was secularised. In 1917 it was acquired by Désiré Cordier
(+1940) and remained in the possession of the wine trading house until 2004. In that year it was then sold to Banque Crédit-Agricole. The vineyards cover 51 hectares of continuous vineyards planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (56%), Merlot (26%), Cabernet Franc (9%) and Pinot Verdot (9%). The long-lasting red wine matures for 14 months in 70 to 90% new barriques. The second wine is called "Prieur de Meyney".