The famous vineyard is located near the commune of Saint-Lambert in the Pauillac area of the Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). Towards the end of the 14th century, a fortified complex with a fortified tower named La Tour en Saint-Maubert was built near the mouth of the Gironde to defend it against attacks during the Hundred Years' War. The tower no longer exists, but around 1620 a round tower named La Tour de Saint-Lambert was built on the estate (pictured left). The name of the winery is derived from this, but the old tower is depicted on the label. Viticulture existed here centuries before, but the history of Château Latour only began in the late 17th century. The Latour estate was "only" part of the large property of the noble Ségur family. This family owned, among others, the predecessors of the Château Lafite-Rothschild (then Château Lafite), with which Château Latour was united until 1760, as well as Château Mouton-Rothschild (then Château Mouton).