Log in Become a Member

Château Lagrange (Saint-Julien)

The winery is located west of the commune of Saint-Julien in the Médoc (Bordeaux) in the area of the same name. It should not be confused with the Château Lagrange of the same name in Pomerol. It is assumed that the first vineyards were planted at the beginning of the 18th century by Baron Joseph de Brane, who also owned Château Mouton-Rothschild (then Château Mouton) at that time. In 1787, Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), then ambassador of the USA to France, certified the estate as third class. Shortly afterwards, in 1796, it was acquired by the merchant Jean-Valère Cabarrus (1758-1829) and extended to 300 hectares through land purchases. After an eventful history with numerous changes of ownership, it was sold to the Japanese distillery and wine trade multinational Suntory in 1983. Only 157 hectares remained, of which only 56 were planted

On the advice of Professor Émile Peynaud (1912-2004), the management of the Marcel Ducasse estate was transferred. He mainly replanted the vineyards and then had the cellars and farm buildings modernised and converted. Peynaud later described it as a "dream estate" and that there were no comparable cellars in Bordeaux. For ten years Michel Delon of Château Léoville-Las-Cases was also helpful. In the 1855 Bordeaux Classification, the estate was awarded third place (Troisième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 113 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (65%), Merlot (28%) and Petit Verdot (7%). This extremely long-lasting red wine is aged for 18 months in barriques that are 60% new. The second wine is called "Les Fiefs-de-Lagrange". Since 1997 the white wine "Les Arums de Lagrange" has been produced from four hectares of vines from the varieties Sauvignon Blanc, Sémillon and Muscadelle.

The world's largest Lexikon of wine terms.

23.166 Keywords · 48.193 Synonyms · 5.311 Translations · 28.480 Pronunciations · 156.227 Cross-references
made with by our Experts. About the Lexicon

EVENTS NEAR YOU